Monday, January 25, 2010

It's started! We think. But it's slow going.

This morning at 538am I was woken up by a contraction. It wasn't too intense, what I though was a normal Braxton-Hicks. Every 7 or so minutes another one would come - not much more intense... just regular. So at about 630am I woke Neil, said it all MAY be starting and then we were up. I walked around a bit (to see if walking changed the pain/frequency) and it really didn't. We had breakfast, washed up, chatted... then we played on the computer for a bit to pass the time and wait for them to become more regular/intense. At about 1030 mom came over to drop off/pick up some things. At the insistence of mom and Neil I called the labour ward. They said when the contractions are about 5 minutes apart and of an intensity that makes you stop and breath through it for about 1 hour, then it may be time to come in.

At about 1130am the contractions started to be more intense, almost every one, and between 4-6 minutes apart. Finally at about 230pm (after another call to the labour ward and much hemming and hawing) Neil and I were off to the hospital!

We got there at about shift change (just before 3pm) and I was hooked up to the monitor and we were watched. Again, every 5 or so minutes and the pain was pretty consistent. But once checked, I was only at 2-3cm dilated. And the ward is apparently very full. So? By 430 we were sent back home, although they were kind enough to shoot a needle full of morphine and gravol into my left ass cheek. Morphine? Doesn't totally take the pain away but I think it makes it more bearable. Or it just numbs me... I feel kinda flat.And a little nauseous, despite the gravol. Morphine? I am sorry, Mr. drug, I can't say I am a huge fan of yours.

I felt pretty tired when we got home and I tried to nap for awhile. But every 4 minutes or so I would wake to a contraction. So I am up now, on the computer a bit and pacing the house a bit. Now more waiting, more contractions, more deep breaths.

When mom came to visit, she told me she hoped that I don't labour like her side of the family - very very very slowly. Well, mom, I think I am just like you! Here's hoping things pick up speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment