Wednesday, March 16, 2011

So lucky

When I come home I open the back door and call out, loudly, for my Maddy I can hear her squeal. Sometimes she comes to me in dada's arms. But those special days, Maddy will walk herself into the kitchen, arms held out and mouth open in pure joy! There is nothing more blissful to me than to see my daughter's face light up with pure and unfiltered happiness to see her mama. After the door closes behind me every morning, that is the moment I live for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maddy is once again teething. I can see the top of tooth 8 (the fourth one on the bottom) right at the surface. That, plus the molar action plus still only one nap a day (in the morning) has meant a more fragile Maddy. Tonight she was upset about something and sitting on the floor and crying. She stopped, looked up at me and said "Mum. Up. UP!". Up. UP! She said up! She said it a few more times, through the night. Always with a slight emphasis on the "p". It's a glimmer of communication and it's beautiful to hear. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight Maddy decided that chasing Sherman, and talking to him in her own quasi-bark, would be so much fun! She loved it and would run around and around the coffee table. Sherman, on the other hand, was confused and had no clue what to do. We watched closely and finally Sherman stopped and shrank in fear. Maddy walked up and gently (for a 13 month old) petted Sherman's face. And the game was done! Sherman survived and was relieved at the outcome. I think Walter was just SO VERY thankful it wasn't him being chased.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In another little Maddy-ism tonight she decided to stomp around muttering and throwing her hands up in the air, in what appeared to be frustration. Foreshadowing to the teen years, where everything we'll do will exasperate her? For now, it's adorable. In 10 or so years, I'll wonder where she got this attitude from. Remind me, it started at 13 months. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maddy's nose and finger have now met. One day, as I was changing her diaper, I looked into her face and noticed her right pointer finger happily nestled in her right nostril. Since then I have seen her finger there a few times - once as she held the ear of her Roger (comfort teddy) in her fist, thumb in her mouth and pointer finger in her nostril. Pictures should really be taken, for future public events.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Future events... Maddy is going to be baptized/christened this summer. First, what is the difference between baptism and christening? And second, despite neither Neil or I being overly religious, it's vitally important to my parents. Neil and I would start to speak of it, then get hung up on who to ask to be godparents and then when we got to where/how to do it, it all would fall apart. Now, we have the person and location! Neil's uncle will come to Edmonton and do it! It means so much to us, that he can come. My mom, too, is overjoyed. Now, to pick those godparents... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyday with Maddy is pure pleasure, even when she's being a grump. Everyday I am so awed that I get to be her mom, to watch her grow and help her learn. I am not sure why I am so lucky - karma must be making up for the disastrous dating years - but whatever the reason I am the honoured to be her mum-mum-mum. I wouldn't change a thing at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment