Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fever in the morning! Fever all through the... well... day

Maddy had a rough night last night. She was up a few times, calling out. Once, she called out for Roger (Og!) and I heard some rustling before she settled. But she always settled and so I didn't go down. This morning when I went to get her out of her crib (earlier than usual) she was burning hot. Achingly, painfully hot. 39.4C. BUT she was also in her winter level sleeper (with a TOG of 3.0) and it was warm in the house. I took her out, gave her some water and took her temp again. 38.3C, so just a little high. But she was lethargic and listless and not at all normal. I gave her advil, which quickly took her temp down. And the rest of the day was spent at home and she was ok. Too ok to take her to the doctor but not ok enough for me to go to work or take her out of the house. She wandered around bored, watched more TV than she should have (bad mum), drank as much water and juice as I could get into her. After a 1.5 hour afternoon nap she woke again with a wee fever. More liquids, more healthy foods, more snuggles and she was back to normal, without more medication.

Our first fever... done! I am not sure if tomorrow will be feverful too, but for now she's asleep and ok. And now I can understand the look of pain on my mother's face when I was sick. It's agony to see your child ill, uncomfortable... I kept wishing I could take the pain from her. How cliche is that?

Although it also was kinda nice to have my girl cuddle. She sat on my lap, hugging Og and sucking her thumb for a good chunk of the day. But it was not worth the fever. Not one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment